Aquarium lighting?

New to marijuana growing? Need some basic questions answered to get your garden started? This is the place to look.

So, I've been lurking for about a month and reading through lots of the information here on PS. I'm in the process of getting a grow started. I'm planning on using a 400WHPS and buyin a conversion MH to use in each respective stage.

That being said, my brother in law has a saltwater aquarium. Short story short they require "grow" lights. He uses a MH i think he said 200W, but that's not important. What I'm really interested in is the setup. I couldn't ask him detailed questions and have him figure out why I was asking.

My question to you all is, are there MH or HPS setups that do not require a ballast?

His setup is a reflector over the tank, the bulb goes into the socket which is in a small box, similar in looks to the UL boxes used for wiring houses and such, that's attached to the reflector. The dimensions of the box are approx. 3"X3"X2". From the back of the box, the cord attaches and goes down to a digital timer and that's it. I'd really love to be able to set up something on this scale if possible.
Thanks everyone!

there are no setups that dont need a ballast. they all need one. that being said i use a 400 watt mh from an aquarium. :D

I have salt water aquariums myself what your brother in law has are probably hqi double ended metal halide bulbs that are alot smaller then normal metal halide bulbs but they still run off a ballast. Maybe u just didn't see them I keep mine under the tanks out of site.

Dillan wrote:I have salt water aquariums myself what your brother in law has are probably hqi double ended metal halide bulbs that are alot smaller then normal metal halide bulbs but they still run off a ballast. Maybe u just didn't see them I keep mine under the tanks out of site.

It was a much smaller bulb now that I think about it. I traced the cord and it went to what I thought was a digi timer but maybe it was a timer/ballast. The few digi ballasts i have seen were bigger than this thing though.

Thanks for the info both of you and props, saltwater tanks are pretty badass

Return to Beginners Forum

x #{title}

#{text}