Re: Ladybugs?????

New to marijuana growing? Need some basic questions answered to get your garden started? This is the place to look.

Has anyone ever tried ladybugs as pest control? I have read that they eat aphids and mites. I dont have a pest problem, occasional gnat or two, but would like to know it they could be harmful?
All posts and pics are completely fictitious. I found all pics on the internet and lied about my stories on here because I have no friends and want to sound cool.

They would only be harmful to the bugs that you don't want. Also the other thing to take into consideration is they won't stay in your growroom forever. They will end up going all around your house if your growing indoors. Otherwise they are a good natural pest repellent.
'there was a young man named jobby,
who haboured an illicit hobby,
with renknowned growing fame,
he put our plants to shame,
that bright young man named jobby'

We have Ladybugs-- I LOVE Ladybugs--
BUT:
#1-We didn't bring them in-- they came in during the Fall migration and found their way into the grow -- tho I do gather em and put them there as I find them in other parts of Our house (the outside of our house & the grow-house both get COVERED by them for 2-3 days.. then the little beggars are in every room, and gather in the corners....)

#2-- they aren't enough. We still get thrips and mites despite the ladybugs... because of #3...

#3-- They are kamikaze's!! We are constantly cleaning their little toasted corpses out of the lights! Like Moths, they are attracted to the lights and fry themselves by the dozens!

#4-- they ARE killed by sprays!
No need for revenge, just sit back and wait.
Those who have hurt you will screw eventually themselves; and if you are lucky, God will let you watch!

Through What we create- we are immortal.

So I was on the right track as far as them being beneficial, just not helpful enough. Thanks for the input.
All posts and pics are completely fictitious. I found all pics on the internet and lied about my stories on here because I have no friends and want to sound cool.

From what I know about beneficials.... you gotta REALLY like em a lot to use em indoors.... as you need a LOT of them.. and they WILL find their way into other parts of the house--
otherwise, We'd be using Mantids and lacewings!!!!!
Those who have hurt you will screw eventually themselves; and if you are lucky, God will let you watch!

I thought about the mantids too, but not too familiar with lacewings. I gonna just stick with my spray. Had a mite issue in the beginning, but the shit I have been using cleared them out fast. I just get an occasional gnat or two. Anyone else get a few gnats here and there? Any preventatives on them, or shoud I just accept it, keep sprayin a few times a week, and kill the ones I can with the old hand clapper method?

Water the soil with NEEM or 3-in-1 or even Ivory or Dove Dish soap in water (1 TBS per quart)
Then top off the soil with 2-3 inches of clean sand (buy bags of it at the pet shop or even garden centers)
should do it!
;)

That'll help with the occasional gnat?

Yup! The flying ones don't hurt the plants-- but lay eggs in the soil that hatch and eat the roots... NEEM kills existing eggs-- sand prevents them from laying more of them!
:D

There is something called Gnat Off that I can buy in the UK but it's not cheap. Check this link to see what I am on about http://www.hydroponic-shop.com/product_ ... cts_id=942. I have no idea how good the site is as I only used it to show what the Gnat Off looks like.

Other thing you can use to help keep the numbers down is sticky fly traps. Try to get yellow ones or stick them on yellow card. Apparently the gnats are attracted to the colour. I find best to lay them on top of the soil on some card. The gnats will come down and land on it before trying to get into the soil to lay eggs. This works to keep the numbers down but it will not get rid of them altogether.
'there was a young man named jobby,
who haboured an illicit hobby,
with renknowned growing fame,
he put our plants to shame,
that bright young man named jobby'

Next

Return to Beginners Forum

x #{title}

#{text}