lumens per square foot

General Marijuana & Forum Questions

out of curiosity how many lumens are you folks running in your veg and flower rooms. my veg cab is 2feetx1.5 feet x 2 feet tall. 10 cfls 6500k total=16500 lumens. that's 5500 lumens per square foot of floor space. (vigorous growth, zero stretch)
in flower im 2.5 feet x 3.5 feet x 5 feet tall. i run a 400 hps in here with cfl sidelighting total lumens=66000. that's about 7500 lumens per square foot of floor space. 8)

I read elsewhere on this forum that 50 lumens per square foot is a general rule of thumb. So, WOW! You're running a lot. I'm curious as to how much your yield is under such mega-lumination.
Peace and Buds,
ladylovescannabis :P

The other day I stopped to let a pine cone cross the road. That was some good smoke.

Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded. - Abraham Lincoln, Dec 18, 1840.

well-- our grow is an "L" shape-- about 4.5 feet deep x 10 on one side..3ft deep x 6 on the other-- so aprox 63 square feet...

we are running 3- 400w hortilux at 55000 lumens each plus a 1000w hortilux at 145,000 for a grand total of 310,000 lumens---

(tick tock tick tock-- doing the math)

So We're running aprox. 4,920 lumens per square foot.

BUT: We get some loss-- due to it being in a larger room-- so the front of the grow has nothing to reflect the light back-- so we are considering hanging a panda screen next grow to reduce the loss!
No need for revenge, just sit back and wait.
Those who have hurt you will screw eventually themselves; and if you are lucky, God will let you watch!

Through What we create- we are immortal.

hey lz near 5000 lumens per square foot over that much space is awesome! bud city :reefer
the per square foot question is kind of relative since the number of foot candles that hit our plants is determined by distance from the bulb(i'm sure reflectors cause this number to go up or down.) so over your 5000 per sq. ft. you got some major sweet spots where they're getting way more than that.
my last grow i ended up with 4 ft. tall plants(under a 400 hps). my tops were spectacular but the density was lacking on the lower branches even with good side lighting. i have now vowed not to grow a plant taller than my light will penetrate. so 400... i will now finish at 2 to 2.5 feet at most and i'm adding some nice 30w 6500k 2000 lumen cfls to the mix

the extra panda reflector will only get you more bud. sounds great to me

everything is spaced so that the edges of the lights "effective range" cross-- so the "sweet spot is kind-of extended....
the 1000w is on a 3 foot light rail-- so again--extends the sweet spot considerably...

Because we had been growing mostly from seed (due to breeding and trying different genetics to see what we want to keep as moms etc..) haven't been able to maximize the light-use... too many different plant-heights, spacing etc....

We hope to have it down to a "clone-only" grow next go around-- as we do have some Mom's in the side-lines.
Those who have hurt you will screw eventually themselves; and if you are lucky, God will let you watch!

i here ya on the mainly clone only gig. i've been a seed grower too. i just split my main box into veg/flower. i have the

overall height worked out. max plant height in veg is 1 foot. max plant height in flower is about 2.5 feet.....so on come the

clones!!! will be playing with some f1's. my blueberry mexican sativa cross and ice 2000's stoned rhino white skunk cross. im

tryin to start a thread on that tonight. never tried a light mover, but then again i only got a square meter to work with.

how far can u stretch the space with one light on a rail?

smknallday wrote:
LadyLovesCannabis wrote:I read elsewhere on this forum that 50 lumens per square foot is a general rule of thumb.

llc, i beleive its 50w per square foot, not lumens :-D :reefer

:D :-D

Oops.
Peace and Buds,
ladylovescannabis :P

The other day I stopped to let a pine cone cross the road. That was some good smoke.

Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded. - Abraham Lincoln, Dec 18, 1840.

We have the 1000w on a 6 foot rail ... used to have it set up so it only went about 4.5 feet-- so (with all my retard-math-skills) it was covering about a 10 foot by 4.5 space--- and we were not that happy with it...
so we shortend the stops on the rail so it only travels 3 feet.. so now covers about 7x 4.5 feet-- and are much happier with the results!
each 400 w is placed about 18 inches apart so does an entire 12 foot wall x 4 ft deep quite nicely. :-D

i run a 400 hps over a 40 foot by 40foot room too. :lmao just kiddin i do that alllll the time

Next

Return to General Questions

• lumens
    by howiefeltersnatch » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:05 am
    2 Replies
    Last post
    Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:37 am
  • lumens
    by casper07 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:55 pm
    9 Replies
    Last post
    Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:41 pm