Do plants take longer to flower under cfls?

General Marijuana & Forum Questions

I understand there are many limitations to growing with cfls, but that is probably gonna be the best choice for me at the mo and it's better than not growing at all! Does growing with cfls take longer than hids? If so, about how much?
Peace and Buds,
ladylovescannabis :P

The other day I stopped to let a pine cone cross the road. That was some good smoke.

Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded. - Abraham Lincoln, Dec 18, 1840.

It does take longer to veg and for flowering to start, but the flowerig should be the same length. I would recomend a 5-6 week veg with cls.

what lights you use has nothing to do with the # of weeks they flower --
It DOES effect the size of the buds and how fast they get big in veg, and your yield.

Same rules as allways:
1) LOTS of light (use the link on CFL growing below!)
2) Keep em close--within 3 inches
3) Check daily so they do not grow onto the bulbs
4) Veg until 1/2 the size you want em
5) Flowering day 1 begins in 12/12 AFTER the 1st female buds begin to show... then use the recomended # of weeks for that strain as stated by the breeder/supplier. It MAY take longer to show, but only IF they are not sexually mature enough for the change to happen-- under HID's it would be the same.

6) Do NOT cut early- check the trichomes 1 week ahead ten every week until all have round heads (otherwise- they look like fingers) and are ALL cloudy-- you can let them go until some turn amber for more couch-lock... but too much and they degrade.

Draig & I have done MANY grows under CFL's-- and still use them for part of our vegging...
Many growers/Writers suggest that they are better for the early stages of veg---
and IMO, they are better for the whole grow IF heat/Space/electric-useage are issues for you.

Hope that helps!
;) LZ

growing with cfl's--- tutorials/how-use-cfl-grow-t23291.html
No need for revenge, just sit back and wait.
Those who have hurt you will screw eventually themselves; and if you are lucky, God will let you watch!

Through What we create- we are immortal.

:D Yippee! I know I'm sacrificing getting the best out of plants by using cfls - not really a choice for now. All of the above issues apply, money, space, heat, yada yada, and, uh, oh yeah, STEALTH is of the upmost importance since I do not live alone. All of which will be resolved eventually but it's the meantime I'm dealing with. I need to do a smaller bofin-type grow box. Seems he does pretty good even w/o the leds. The only other option is to wait another year, or two, or three, or....

Growing with cfls is somthing I can get going in the next couple months (instead of years). I'll just skip buying any pot for a while ( :( :( ) and that'll give me all the money I need for a cfl setup. I've got some wild bag seed I can use until I get my grow chops on real good.
Peace and Buds,

The other day I stopped to let a pine cone cross the road. That was some good smoke.

Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded. - Abraham Lincoln, Dec 18, 1840.

Hun-- If you have a closet-- you can do a "grow room" for real cheap!
(Under $100 if you can get stuff on-sale or at discount stores!)

The CFL's come in 2-packs at Walmart, Lowes etc... for around $10
Get 2 packs-- and be sure they are wide-spectrum 100w output or more.
Next, get 4 round aluminum clamp-light reflectors ...about $7 each...
Then get yourself a tension rod and put it across the closet and hang the clamp lights from it.

Use a power-strip with surge protection ($8) to plug em all in.
Get a small oscillating desc fan and pop that in there too...

Viola! Cheapo plant room for 2 plants! Start with 4 seeds--
and hope for 2 females... if there are more , weed-out the weeklings!

Keep the tension rod/lights so the plants are only 3 inches from the lights..check daily-- they grow fast and WIL toast if they touch!

You can crack the door if needed for additional air--(usually there is enough comming under and around the door for CFL's) OR if temps go up too high.

When time comes for 12/12-- put a weather strip across the bottom and sides of the door so there are no light leaks-- and a timer on the lights (fan stays on!)

Your only "Stealth" issue is the fan-- so look for a decent one-- cheapo's tend to make more noise!

Not the "best" or even optimal conditions-- but a do-able grow.
and could yeild ya enough to not have to buy pot EVER-- cuz you start new plants after harvesting& curing these!

;)
No need for revenge, just sit back and wait.
Those who have hurt you will screw eventually themselves; and if you are lucky, God will let you watch!

Through What we create- we are immortal.

Lady Zandra wrote:Hun-- If you have a closet-- you can do a "grow room" for real cheap!
(Under $100 if you can get stuff on-sale or at discount stores!)

The CFL's come in 2-packs at Walmart, Lowes etc... for around $10
Get 2 packs-- and be sure they are wide-spectrum 100w output or more.
Next, get 4 round aluminum clamp-light reflectors ...about $7 each...
Then get yourself a tension rod and put it across the closet and hang the clamp lights from it.

Use a power-strip with surge protection ($8) to plug em all in.
Get a small oscillating desc fan and pop that in there too...

Viola! Cheapo plant room for 2 plants! Start with 4 seeds--
and hope for 2 females... if there are more , weed-out the weeklings!

Keep the tension rod/lights so the plants are only 3 inches from the lights..check daily-- they grow fast and WIL toast if they touch!

You can crack the door if needed for additional air--(usually there is enough comming under and around the door for CFL's) OR if temps go up too high.

When time comes for 12/12-- put a weather strip across the bottom and sides of the door so there are no light leaks-- and a timer on the lights (fan stays on!)

Your only "Stealth" issue is the fan-- so look for a decent one-- cheapo's tend to make more noise!

Not the "best" or even optimal conditions-- but a do-able grow.
and could yeild ya enough to not have to buy pot EVER-- cuz you start new plants after harvesting& curing these!

;)

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm going for. I'm willing to patiently wait and set money aside each payday, buying a little here, a little there until I have exactly what I need for my circumstances.

I have a little more money to spend than that and part of the idea also was putting the money I saved by going cfl into a high-quality (mean not only effective but vewy, vewy quiet) odor control system.

Not going with hid means I also don't have to buy a ballast, more money saved.

And the thought of never having to go through the ordeal of buying again is so appealing that I am willing to never buy again, starting right now (I'm smoking the very last little bit I have, by tomorrow I will be out :( :( ) so I can achieve my goal that much quicker. The various government legal authories can really screw your life over and I have just been getting too concerned about my present purchasing situation anyway.
Peace and Buds,

Return to General Questions

x #{title}

#{text}