How to tell when to harvest.

Frequently asked marijuana growing questions

The most important factor in harvest is timing for peak THC production.
in order to do this you must observe the trichomes (or trichs), which is the technical name for the crystally bits that cover your leaves and calyxes (calyxes are the bud bits that the hairs grow out from)

There are three types of trichomes, and only one of them produces THC in high quantities. This is called the "capitated stalked trichome" meaning a trichome with a stalk and a head. i forget the name of the other two types of trichs because i don't really care about them, except that it is one of the low THC tirchomes that give white strains the snowy appearance, that's why i don't recommend growing white strains, although a lot of people seem to love them.

first, (unless you are able to move your plant without risk of damage) select a small side bud and clip it off at the stem. then take it out of the growroom and into natural (but not direct) light. aim for flat but bright light, like sunlight reflected off a white wall.

get your magnifying glass (30X jewelers loupe is good, and only about US$20 off the net) , and have a good look at the trichomes from the side-on. Look for the ones like this : ======() and observe the colour of the head (cannabinoid secretions) and wait till around 50% of the capitated stalked trichomes have turned colour from clear to milky/amber. this will give the best all round high.

If you prefer a stronger "body-stone" then wait till more of the trichs have turned colour as the ones which matured first will be breaking down THC into CBD which gives more of a body stone.

If you only like Uppy buzzes, and want to avoid a body stone, then harvest once maybe 20-30% of the trichs have turned colour.

the smoke harvested early or late will not be as potent as the plant harvested at the point of peak THC production.

Happy Harvest
:D
Attachments
harvest.JPG
harvest.JPG (75.02 KiB)
you're a slave to money - then you die , that's life 8)...... //.......//...... do you have your easy-going nature because you're too heavy to run, or just too fat to fight? :twisted:.....//....//.... All you breath and wear, or see and hear on TV is a product , praying for your fat-ass dirty dollar, shut-up and buy , buy, buy our new record, buy, buy, buy, spend more money, FUCK YOU BUDDY! 8) 8)

good stuff marduk, I've always wondered if I've been harvesting at the right time. I've always used the three quarters covered in brown hairs method which I've always been suss about anyway. I end up just pulling the buggers when they're about right. Now I know a better method.
Very informative, thanks.
That's very handy info the bit about THC breaking down to CBD to get a body stone.
Ya learn something new every day huh.

thanks man that helped alot 8)

Sweet man will take it on board. Can we get a bud pic of a ready one aswell?
As my life goes up in smoke I can at least see a glimmer of light in the hazzie future. (Quite possably the guy next to me with the pipe but I hang on to that hope)

Cheers to Marduk - Since I am so close on this white strain. Today is 61 days and me thinks me need to do some serious inspecting on my trichs today as I must be very close to her harvest. This is a much better way to do things as alot of seed companies give you early flowering times to make the strain a bit more appealing to buy. Always nice to know how to do things correctly. Thanks big M.

No worries guys, shame to spend all this time and effort growing, then stuff up the timing at the end :)

this pic looks like the trichs are all mature. i think its just the lighting tho.

Which is a damn good point. i forgot to mention it in the first post, and will edit in a minute, but make sure you observe the colour under natural light, and especially !NOT! under a HPS as the orange glow will , give a premature amber tinge. clip a small lower bud when you think you're ready to harvest, and take it outside(the growroom), not in direct sunlight (glare) , but somewhere with a flat and even lighting .
Attachments
100_0704.JPG
100_0704.JPG (430.86 KiB)
you're a slave to money - then you die , that's life 8)...... //.......//...... do you have your easy-going nature because you're too heavy to run, or just too fat to fight? :twisted:.....//....//.... All you breath and wear, or see and hear on TV is a product , praying for your fat-ass dirty dollar, shut-up and buy , buy, buy our new record, buy, buy, buy, spend more money, FUCK YOU BUDDY! 8) 8)

Yeah, I watched this tutorial and he was saying the exact same thing but he simplified it lol, wait untill the buds are a golden color but not dookie brown.
:D Cheezin to tha lobes

a good explaination of the trichomes,marduk,but the white strains eg white widow are more potent in my view.So how is it that they have the low trichomes that are less potent,???
I believe in evolution

[quote="Marduk"

There are three types of trichomes, and only one of them produces THC in high quantities. This is called the "capitated stalked trichome" meaning a trichome with a stalk and a head. i forget the name of the other two types of trichs because i don't really care about them, except that it is one of the low THC tirchomes that give white strains the snowy appearance, thats why i don't recommend growing white strains, although a lot of people seem to love them.

This is what I was talking about
I believe in evolution

yeah, i guess what im saying is, white strains look better than they are. it's not that they aren't potent as such, just that with the longer flowering times and proportionally more of the wrong kind of trich, its wroth growing something else instead.

only white strain i have grown is white russian, and given both the parents ( ak47 and WW ) are meant to be really potent, i was pretty dissappointed with the WRus, in all honesty. it wasn't bad smoke, but i sure don't rate it.

best way for you to see what i mean, is to take some of your white buds into some natural light, and look for some of the trichs to shine like little diamonds (just with the naked eye). these are the ones that actually have goodness, so the more sparkly your bud, the more potent it should be (provided it was havrevted at peak thc production, ideal conditions, etc etc) . generally you'll find that white buds don't sparkle much at all, despite the frosty coat.

It's not that they don't have the good stuff, its just proportionally speaking you're wasting a lot of energy drowing the wrong kinda trichs.

each to their own, every plant and grower is different. with the pepperskunk i grow, i have a friend growing the same buds, his yields kick my ass, but mine taste better and are more potent. clones from same mothers, etc. and when you find a plant that you like, that grows well for you, and gets you plenty baked, then hang onto it with all youve got, and who cares what strain it is and what % of good trichs its got.

well, that was a rant. Probably a bit incoherent as well, sorry bout that, but im a bit under the weather atm :)

Next

Return to Grow FAQ

x #{title}

#{text}