600w, cooltube and aircon but still got heat Problem........

How To Grow Marijuana Indoors Grow Light Marijuana Hydroponics Pumps Fans Carbon Scrubber Rockwool Deep Water Culture NFT Areoponics Grow Box Cupbord

Hi ppl...

Just wanted to know what you think i should do concerning heat problems
i'm getting with my 600w setup.

I have a 1.2mtr square tent and after using a 400w for years i thought
(why im now in a house i actually own - perk. no yearly inspections) i will
try a 600w setup... more lumens ofcourse :) Anyhows.... I thought i'd
prepard well in the way of buying a cool-tube, air-con and a 550 m3/
airflow rate extractor fan right away knowing the heat may be an issue with
a 600w bulb.

Oh No... didnt expect 84°+ which is what i'm getting. Ok heres how i got
it setup. I have the front of my air-con coverd and some 4" ducting comming
off it, i've put a 4" hole in the bottom of my tent so basically i have ducting
comming off the front of my air-con directing cool air into my tent, then theres
a T-Piece connected to the tent's 4" hole on the inside and to that i have made
a ring of ducting that fits to the T-Piece then runs around the floor of my tent with
little holes in it now and then to disspearse the cool air evenly around the tent (hope
your with me up to now)

Above i have a Cool-Tube as mentioned with a Carbon Filter connected to one side
of it then extracted with my fan from the other, I also have a 3ft tall oscilatiing slim
fan. Now i want to know what you guys think of this idea.

I'm thinking of dissconnecting the carbon filter and have the air-con comming
into the tent then connecting it straight to the cool-tube.? I have another good
extractor for the carbon filter if i do this. My concern is what would happen sending
such cold air right to the bulb.? i know i know..... glass cracked when going from
cold to hot or vice versa BUT what i'm thinking is the cold air will be their as soon
as the bulb is turned on and therefore the bulb wont be hot, also thinking that it
will keep the bulb cooler from the start.?

I dont know if it would work setting it up that way.? I have ordered a 400w ballast
and new MH/HPS bulbs but if i can sort out the temp asap i can keep with the 600w
system which obviously is better.

Another thing i got told today is that a 600w ballast will run a 400w bulb .? if so i
may run 2x400w instead, either way i need to decide within the next week :(

Any thought's or ideas is greatly appreciated ppl, would love to know if anyone has
run a 400w bulb on a 600w ballast.

The Ducting i've got running around the floor wasnt done when i took this picky
but it goes once around the edges of the tent:

Peace Out Guys.
Attachments
cooltube2 - Copy.jpg

Those portable aircons arnt built to push air through ducting

i would suggest simply placing the aircon inside the grow tent, let it blow as it is designed to and have the hot air extracted from the back tubing out the tent somewhere.This extracted hot air will have dope smell so another scrubber may be needed.To be honest if you are just using 1 600 the aircon alone would cool that tent in 5 to 10min if the rooms air wasn't being extracted causing the cold air to be simply sucked out of the tent.If this hasnt fixed the problem has it got enough gas ?

If you are drawing air in through the cool tubes from a source outside the tent most are air tight enough not to bother scrubbing the end.Not saying not to just not always needed.

If using aircon you are better having an enclosed system. IE no exhaust going and room supplemented with co2.Or have aircon go off and exhaust go on for 10min every hour.Then have them off whilst aircon on. If doing that a back draft damper on your exhausts would be needed other wise your tent will leak smell
(You) I see
(Will see) My dream
(Your dream) For real
(Come true)
(You) I will
(Will rise) Will rise
(Above) Above
(The rules)

HeroHater wrote:Those portable aircons arnt built to push air through ducting

Done a full grow with it and no probs, pushes air through fine and doesnt freeze up.
The key is to NOT fully cover the front of the air-con as thats where it regulates
the temp from so you need to leave the corner open a bit so it can get the room
temp otherwise it will report back as cold all the time (due to it being bounced back from the front cover) and shut off when it reaches the set temp.
HeroHater wrote: i would suggest simply placing the aircon inside the grow tent, let it blow as it is designed to and have the hot air extracted from the back tubing out the tent somewhere.This extracted hot air will have dope smell so another scrubber may be needed.

Have obviously thought of this but appart from taking up space = less plants,
theres that factor as you mentioned about the smell, you cant connect a carbon filter
to it can you.? think about it... where would you attach it.? you cant connect it to
the hot air outlet at the back, where/how would you attach it.? Carbon filter goes
at the End of the ducting then the suction pulls through it yes.!!

HeroHater wrote: To be honest if you are just using 1 600 the aircon alone would cool that tent in 5 to 10min if the rooms air wasn't being extracted

If i dont have extraction/carbon filter the smell will be too intense im thinking,
On that idea though maybe put the air-con in the tent set to 25°c so it can come
on and off to regulate the temp inside but have my extraction fan inside the tent
also but dont have it extracting outside the tent, instead just have it pulling through
the carbon filter and then back into the tent maybe.? just a thought.!!

There are many configurations im sure, still wondering if the aircon connected to the
cool-tube idea would work.? Air-con to cool-tube then out the tent, and another
extractor fan pulling air through the carbon filter and out the tent.?

Thanks for your thoughts HeroHater, much appreciated ;)

Agreed on not running the a/c thru ducting-- puts high stress on the unit, and greatly lowers it's effectiveness...

You are better off with it IN the tent venting the hot air from the back OUT of the tent. We use one in a 10 x 11 room... and the ducting of the hot air is CRUCIAL-- you MUST add a duct-fan to boost it out...
but if you MUST duct the cold air IN-- just have it pour-in thru ONE BIG HOLE-- and let your oscillating fans move it around...

You DO have oscillators-- yes? Air movement is critical in not only controlling temps--- but keeping mites/fungus/mold out of the grow AND strengthening the plants.

You may have done it this way for one grow-- but obviously it isn't working this go around-- so you need to change it. ;)
No need for revenge, just sit back and wait.
Those who have hurt you will screw eventually themselves; and if you are lucky, God will let you watch!

Through What we create- we are immortal.

Lady Zandra wrote:but if you MUST duct the cold air IN-- just have it pour-in thru ONE BIG HOLE-- and let your oscillating fans move it around...

You DO have oscillators-- yes? Air movement is critical in not only controlling temps

You may have done it this way for one grow-- but obviously it isn't working this go around-- so you need to change it. ;)

Change it indeed, thats why i'm here :) for good peeps views and ideas..!!

But i already have the cold air ducted to enter the tent and its disspersed via small
holes in the ducting that is running around the base of the tent and is further blown
around via the 3ft oscillating fan :) (see picky)

I'll try do what i'm being advised though and put it in the tent somehow and set its
thermostate to 25° :) i already have a long insulated ducting comming of the back of
it so getting it out the tent and out the outside vent isnt a problem. will this air con
provide anything like co2 or oxygen.? dont know about that side of things so just
picking..!!!

I'm also looking into dumping my cool-tube and buying one or two of them erm....
"POWERPLANT AEROWING AIR-COOLED REFLECTOR" a few's on ebay, around £70
they are, more space where the bulb is so wont get as hot as an 125mm cool tube.
These things have spigots on each end too so your ducting fits snug and you can
have 1 extractor fan extracting through as many of them that are linked. proper got
me wanting to see if i can run my 600w in one of them and this new 400w in the
other connected to my 550 m3/airflow rate extractor fan.?

So many ways to setup isnt there, Mind Boggling, I'd say you could be going forever
if you want to learn and know it all, meaning personal experiences in setting up
and changing this this time and changing that the next time ect, I'm just going to
get a healthy setup and stay safe (shit i'm lying im always guna change this and that
lol) nevermind :)

Thnx for your input Lady :)

....But i already have the cold air ducted to enter the tent and its disspersed via small
holes in the ducting that is running around the base of the tent and is further blown
around via the 3ft oscillating fan :) (see picky)

Thats your problem-- you are constricting the airflow IN by using ducting & smaller holes--- just get rid of the ducting and just let the cold air pour-in!! Then your fans will move it around, no big problem to fix that part! as for hoods-- if they are air-cooled- that is best.... really helps heat-wise!
No need for revenge, just sit back and wait.
Those who have hurt you will screw eventually themselves; and if you are lucky, God will let you watch!

Through What we create- we are immortal.

Righty-o...

I'll take out the ducting around the inside of the tent and just let it pour in,
give it a go eyh :)

What i will do is put the 400w system in the cool tube and observe the temp
with just the 400w going.... Then if all is ok i'm going to get a "5" Silverstar Air Cooled Reflector "
and stick the 600w in that and link it up to the cool tube then let the 550 m3/airflow rate extractor fan
pull the hot air out them both. the Silverstar has way more room in it than the
cool tube so heat shouldnt disperse as quick as it did through the cool tube and hopefully
it can be extracted before the heat gets to and through the glass panel.

IF then i find the heat is uncontrollable i can try putting ducting from the aircon straight
to the end of the cool tube which will keep cool air going through both lights, if that doesnt
work i will simply dump the 400w and keep the 600w in the silverstar reflector.

So thats my plan then :)
Think i can controll 1000w doing it that way.?
Extractor big enough.???

Added the pick to give an idea of how i can do things, I dont have any silverstar
reflectors at the mo so if i can sort this with only buying 1 reflector and maybe another
carbon filter that would be ok or if option 3 in the picture works thats better because
i'll only need to buy 1 reflector.

Thnx for the advice and always happy to try ppls ideas :)

Peace..!!!!
Attachments
Ideal Light Setup.jpg

could try this.. u must decide to use another inline fan and carbon filter to exchange air in the tent or keep it sealed and add co2 as needed
Attachments
heat solution 1.png

Hi Smurf....

Would that not be the same as Option 3 in the picky.? aircon is outside my tent, comes into the tent
and right to the cool-tube - through into the silverstar reflector and extracted with the shown extractor.?

I do have another adequate inline fan for a carbon filter too.

Peace :)

nope not at all like three... mine the a/c goes in the tent not the light... thats a bad idea.. ur just wasting the a/c if u ask me... i think you should let the a/c cool the girls and have fans moving the air around with a carbon filter and fan extracting at the slowest possible rate... i think min. is 5 times per hour? correct if im wrong. try that maybe?

Next

Return to Growroom Setup & Design

x #{title}

#{text}