Light Coverage area, question.

How to grow indoor marijuana, Hydroponic marijuana growing systems. Grow lights, Rockwool systems, DWC, NFT, Aeroponics, Organic etc

I am planning my grow room, and I am planning on having a 400W MH for my veg room and 2x600W HPS for my flower room (does this sound good? will a 400w MH be enough to keep mothers, clones and veggin plants happy?)

I searched the forums and found two great threads that contained a ton of info on lights and electricity. One of the threads said that a 600W light would cover a 5'x5' area, while the other thread said the same light would only cover a 3'x3' area.

My question is, which one is right? Should I just plan for a 4'x4' area?

Dunno if it helps, but I will be getting digital ballasts and each 600W will put out 95,000 lumens.

Thanks!
-Capt. Murphy

Hey Captain, From what I understand a 400w MH or HPS should be adequate for a 4x4 space. And 2 600 HPS are gonna rock the space for flowering....
I've yet to try MH bulbs tho.... I only have grown with HPS & cfls -
Hope this helps! I'm sure you'll get more responses from seasoned indoor growers soon...
Good luck!

Life is a garden..... SMOKE IT
LEGALIZE IT- USA!!!!

Thanks for the reply. If I understand correct, are you saying that my 2x600W would only cover the same area as a single 400W? Maybe I just read it wrong. I was hoping to have an 8'x4' area for my 2x600W (4'x4' for each one)

I wasnt sure if you had the option for a larger flower room- Yes, 2 600s in an 8x4 should be fine...

Life is a garden..... SMOKE IT
LEGALIZE IT- USA!!!!

Captain Murphy wrote:I am planning my grow room, and I am planning on having a 400W MH for my veg room and 2x600W HPS for my flower room (does this sound good? will a 400w MH be enough to keep mothers, clones and veggin plants happy?)

I searched the forums and found two great threads that contained a ton of info on lights and electricity. One of the threads said that a 600W light would cover a 5'x5' area, while the other thread said the same light would only cover a 3'x3' area.

My question is, which one is right? Should I just plan for a 4'x4' area?

Dunno if it helps, but I will be getting digital ballasts and each 600W will put out 95,000 lumens.

Thanks!
-Capt. Murphy

Hiya Captain - :)

generally 200 watts of HPS per 1 square metre is recommended for optimal results - 8) :wink:
black-domina-x-out-door-grow-t41038.html
nirvana-s-supergirl-harvest-t13238.html?hilit=nirvana%20supergirl"
nirvana-s-k2-organic-grow-t23866.html?hilit=Nirvana%20k2"
nirvana-s-nypd-indoor-grow-t42243.html
dwc-tutorial-t42414.html

https://www.pottysworld.org/phpBB3/
[img]http://cdn.content.sweetim.com/sim/cpie/emoticons/000201D1.gif[/img] [img]http://cdn.content.sweetim.com/sim/cpie/emoticons/000201CF.gif[/img] [img]http://cdn.content.sweetim.com/sim/cpie/emoticons/00020209.gif[/img]

i think 200 watts per square meter is a little dark. i got a 400 hps in a sqaure meter with cfl sidelighting.... man i wish i had a 600

figure it this way hun..
a 400w does a 4x4- 5x5 with a bit of drop-off at about the last 6-8 inches all the way around the grow-- enough for the edges-of-branches....

a 600w does a 5x5 to 6x6...again, with dropoff

a 1000w does a 6x6 to (supposedly) a 8x8 ..but that depends on reflectivity and height / distance of plants...
the closer it is-- the smaller the space it will do--

the BEST way to maximize light use is to keep it in a glassed-in reflector, with an in-line fan to cool the light-- and put it on a 3-foot light-mover.....
you then get nearly double the coverage in the width (side to side)

So you could do a 400w on a 3 foot rail and get a 4ft deep by about 7ft area.... but you then MUST keep the light closer to make-up for the lights movement.

We really like our 1000w on the rail... minimal heat (Due to light never being in one spot too long) maximized space...and happy plants!

;)
No need for revenge, just sit back and wait.
Those who have hurt you will screw eventually themselves; and if you are lucky, God will let you watch!

Through What we create- we are immortal.

For a 400w the Optium size is a bit smaller than 3' X 3'. This works with a 50 w per sq ft . Once the size goes up 4' and 5' the light gets further away and is not as effective.Yes U can grow using a 400w and a 6' space , but its not the same watts hitting a sq ft.
400 w 3'x3'
600w 4'x4'
1000w 5'x5'
U can allways go a bit bigger.
Peace
If my penis is 12" long. Is it a Foot?

I use a 600hps in a 3'x3' room with white walls. That equals 66watts per sq. ft. and thats bright as hell.

Isnt a very important prt being left out here, what reflector is being used? This ultimately decides the lights footprint and could be a potential problem. If the same reflector is used for a 400 and 1000 watt, even with the different heights needed for each, the light may not be spread effectively through the grow. I like the idea of a light mover, but than again its probably just another peice to fail unexpectedly and kill the plants.

So what kind of reflector you plan on using? Also might be a good idea to acheive a ~90% reflective wall surface. Certain materials differ greatly, and even with white paint the right color and brand must be chosen for best results.

I could simply repeat what Ive been told a light will cover or combinations Ive used before, but Id rather consider all of the factors first...

Next

Return to Indoor Growing

x #{title}

#{text}