Optimum Kelvin rating for veg

How to grow indoor marijuana, Hydroponic marijuana growing systems. Grow lights, Rockwool systems, DWC, NFT, Aeroponics, Organic etc

My Sunmaster MH bulb, although having been used now for only 2 grows (about 1500 hours) makes a hell of a lot of noise. This actually led me to cut short my veg time on my last grow which probably reduced my yield significantly.
So I'm thinking about replacing it.

Researching the major manufacturers ... they don't seem to agree on what is the optimum K rating for vegging.

Sunmaster MH bulbs are 4000 K
Solarmax are 7200 L
EYE Hortilux are 6500 K

Anybody got any recommendations ?

thanks

I think of bulbs in terms of 400w, 600w etc 4000 k means he haw to me. sorry
The mh bulbs are less bright but better spectrum for the plant in veg.
The sodiums are brighter and better for flowering.
The grolux tries to cover all the bases but high lumens are not a must for veg, but a must for flowering.
Might as well enjoy yourself as you are a long time dead

Also optimum is blowing in the wind- Some people have 10 plants under a lampost and other have one under 2 1000w

Kelvin is used in the measure of the color temperature of light sources.
4000 K appear reddish whereas those above about 7500 K appear bluish.

So, my Sunmaster MH bulb with a 4000 K rating doesn't seem particularly suited to vegging ... being that it's more towards the red end of the spectrum.

I know that bit- what size- in oows-are we talking about

We could try a different common dominator - what the lumens output of yours and I get there that way.

IMO it would be Full spectrum daylight 6400. They may have a pic on ur box on the Hortilux (but not positive).
Peace
If my penis is 12" long. Is it a Foot?

myhash maganga wrote:I know that bit- what size- in oows-are we talking about

We could try a different common dominator - what the lumens output of yours and I get there that way.

400 watt

With all of the major bulb manufacturers though, the color temperature of a particular line of bulbs is the same whether it's 400, 600 or 1000 watt.

So, a Solarmax MH 400 watt bulb will put out the same color spectrum as their 1000 watt ... it just has less lumens.
My bulb is rated at 36,000 lumens ... which is about te same as most other brand's 400 watt bulbs.

Interestingly, the sun's Kelvin rating is 5778 K.

So would we agree that the more lumens, at the correct spectrum is the way to go.
In other words mh for veg is best- the brighter the better
Grolux or sunmaster is next- the brighter the better
hps soduim third.- the brighter the better
The reverse of this for flowering- the brighter the better.
I still dont care about k ratings
Might as well enjoy yourself as you are a long time dead

myhash maganga wrote:So would we agree that the more lumens, at the correct spectrum is the way to go.

Yes.
What you're referring to as color spectrum though is the same thing as what I was calling the color temperature ... or K rating ... more blue for veg and more red for flowering.

Based on greentoes recommendation ... "Full spectrum daylight 6400" ... I wondering if my Sunmaster 400 watt MH bulb is providing my plants with the correct / optimum color spectrum.

So what are you using ?

Up until my last visit to the grow shop I was always mh for veg and hps for fllowering..
They didn't have any 400w mhs, 600w mhs- only had grolux. a lot cheaper and so far i have not noticed any difference in plants.
I had used hps all the way in earlier grows but they stretched more than i would like. the grolux seems ok.
I have 1 600w, and two 400w. now all with grolux bulbs. Everything is vegin fine and I post later about flowering.

Next

Return to Indoor Growing

x #{title}

#{text}